First, a refresher on breathing.
There are several instructional videos online on the topic of releasing DMT through breathing. What they all have in common is the philosophy of “I don’t care how you breathe, just get the air in there!”.
This is actually true. The human body is so amazing that if you just breathe long, hard, and fast enough, you will get high.
My argument is that the self-induced psychedelic trip you get from practicing the right breathing techniques as opposed to “just getting the air in there” is analogous to the difference between a premium crystal-packed strain of marijuana versus sub-par street weed with lots of seeds.
So, let’s get high on the good stuff by following these breathing guidelines:
Breathe fully and deeply into the belly, chest and head (in that order).
Experience yourself as breath. Close your eyes and use your intuition to follow the flow of your breath from the inside. Become absorbed into that rhythmic flow.
When you sit to breathe – you are no longer human. You are a cylindrical container that can pump breath in and out – that’s all. Forget everything else
Minimise the pauses between exhale and inhale and between inhale and exhale. There is just one constant stream of breath – let your consciousness become enthralled in this homogenous, directionally-agnostic flow.
I go into a lot more detail on the mechanics of breathing here.
Next, warm up the Earthship.
The Earthship is this mind-body carrier vessel that transports our consciousness through the human journey.
Although our consciousness is clearly hyper-dimensional – our mind, body and ego that bind us to this physical reality is not.
Indeed, it’s the conundrum of housing a God-like consciousness in a monkey ego-body that makes the human experience so unique. I like to think of it like this:
You see, the problem with pushups is that they work. No matter who you are, if you do enough pushups you will undeniably build muscle.
The question is – are those new muscles built around and supporting a properly aligned spine thus improving your life or are they re-enforcing and even exacerbating poor posture and alignment leading to massive prana blockage?
That is why we must place a deliberate focus on alignment. Even if you only do one proper pushup you will get the health benefits, and over time you will build up the strength required to increase the number of these perfect-form pushups.
Without further ado, here are some proper pushup guidelines:
Why is my consciousness tied my body? What’s the nature of that relationship? I wondered 🤔 well, it’s like a sea-bird🕊 and a ship🚢 traveling deep at sea. The bird (consciousness) comes to the ship (body/ego) to land and rest sometimes and then takes off again. The bird and the ship have an open relationship. The bird follows the ship until it reaches land and then becomes independent again (death). The danger is when the bird spends so long on the ship that it mis-identifies itself as a ship, loses its wings and becomes a chicken 🐓 #fuckchickens
The dual nature of our human experience has been addressed by philosophers, yogis, mystics and intellectuals for millennia. For the purpose of getting high on our own supply of DMT, it suffices to understand that we need to grease up the Earthship (or warm up the body, if you prefer) beforehand to achieve the best results.
Here are some of my favourite ways to prepare for DMT breathing:
30 – 60 minutes of Hatha Yoga
A few rounds of Pushup Pranayama
2-5 minutes of shaking – just plant your feet on the ground and shake. Breathe and shake. (Very simple, but powerful. See Below)
How to produce DMT through Meditation
Ok, great – the Earthship is warmed up and now we are ready to produce some DMT and have a psychedelic experience purely through breathing.
Before I get to the method, a quick point on safety: be safe.
Don’t do this if:
You are driving or operating heavy machinery
You are pregnant
You have epilepsy
You are in or near water
Your best bet would be to do this lying down in bed or sitting comfortably in a safe environment.
So, here’s how to do it:
- Sit or lie down in a comfortable, safe environment
- Close your eyes and breathe calmly through the nose for a few minutes. Using the breathing guidelines, become anchored to your breath and ultimately into the moment.
- Take 25 deep breaths through your nose. Watch the air fill your belly, expand into your chest, upper chest, neck and head. Contract your abs to exhale.
- After the 25th breath, accelerate your pace of breathing for another 25 breaths
- After 25 accelerated breaths (50 breaths in total), exhale fully and retain the breath out for as long as feels comfortable. Do not strain. Try to sense equilibrium in your body. Advanced practitioners can pull the abs inwards and upwards (uddiyana bandha) in this step.
- When you are ready to inhale, first relax the abs, then inhale deeply and fully, filling the belly, chest, neck and head. Advanced practitioners can tilt the chin up about 20 degrees (this can get you even more high, but be careful, I have passed out doing this).
- Once your lungs are as full of air as possible – hold the breath in and squeeze the air upwards. Contract your abs inwards and upwards. Simultaneously pull your shoulder blades back and down the spine – this opens up more space in the upper chest and neck. Hold the breath in with this muscular engagement for 20-30 seconds. Exhale
- Sit and feel the after effects of DMT breathing. Enjoy 🙂